Community

Church sermon topics

- Cadiz Presbyterian Church: “How Did We Get Here?,” www.CadizPresbyterian.org. - Christ United Methodist Church, East Springfield: “Holy and Blameless — Who, Me?” - Finley United Methodist Church, Steubenville: “You Have a Choice,” www.finleyumc.org. - Follansbee First ...

Volunteers place wreaths on veterans’ graves in New Cumberland

About 60 volunteers braved the winter cold on Dec. 19 to lay wreaths on the graves of veterans at the New Cumberland Cemetery. The ceremony, sponsored by the New Cumberland Garden Club, is part of the national Wreaths Across America Day that is celebrated every year in December. Local donors ...

Fort Steuben DAR participates in WAA

The Fort Steuben Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution did not meet in regular session in December because of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, but several members participated in the Wreaths Across America program taking place across America and locally on Dec. 19. Regent Vickie ...

Ex-area man, author has a productive year

CANAL WINCHESTER — As an unusual year comes to a close, a former area resident can nonetheless celebrate an accomplishment — the publishing of not one, but two books in 2020, both of which, he notes, “couldn’t be more different.” Robert Viola, the son of Gene Viola of Wintersville ...

Merry Christmas, equine style

Using her love of horses to do so, Brittany Buchanan of Mingo Junction, left photo, initiated a special way Dec. 21 to wish a Merry Christmas and spread holiday cheer to residents of area nursing homes. “Until August I worked for a mobile X-ray company,” Buchanan explained. “I saw how ...

Christmas party held

Capital Health Care Network and Capital Health Home Care joined together to sponsor an all-school Christmas party for East Garfield Elementary in Steubenville. “This is our second year to help out East Garfield. We love being able to give back to the community, especially for this event,” ...