Woman pleads guilty in fatal Brooke County DUI crash

WELLSBURG — A Wellsburg woman pleaded guilty Friday to causing an accident while under the influence of drugs and alcohol that claimed the life of a Weirton man.

Kristy J. Jones, 42, of Wellsburg, pleaded guilty to DUI causing death and DUI causing bodily injury, for which she faces up to 25 years in prison and a fine of $1,000 to $3,000.

After accepting Jones’ plea, 1st Judicial Circuit Court Judge Ronald Wilson set a sentencing hearing for Jones on April 23.

Brooke County Chief Assistant Prosecutor David F. Cross said Jones was under the influence of alcohol and drugs when she was traveling north in the southbound lane of state Route 2 north of Beech Bottom on Jan. 15, 2019.

Cross said the driver of a southbound vehicle attempted to veer from her path and ran into the adjacent guardrail.

The prosecutor said Jones’ vehicle smashed into the front end of the other vehicle, causing injuries to the driver that led to his death as well as a passenger who survived.

According to police reports, 20-year-old Hubert “Jamie” Logue of Weirton was the driver who was killed.

Also on Friday, Anthony Steinman, 36, of Burgettstown, pleaded guilty to fleeing with reckless indifference to the safety of others and will serve 1 to 5 years in prison and will pay a $1,000 fine.

Brooke County Prosecutor Joseph Barki III said Brooke County sheriff’s deputies pursued Steinman in the Harmon Creek area after receiving a report of a possible child abduction involving him in Washington, Pa.

Officials said as Steinman proceeded at a high rate of speed, he veered across the center at various times while his two children were passengers.

Weirton and McDonald, Pa., police also were involved in the pursuit, which ended in Washington County, Pa.

A charge of child neglect has been dropped as part of the plea agreement reached by Justin Hershberger, Steinman’s attorney; and Barki.

Lewis Anderson-Freeman, 27, of Steubenville, pleaded guilty to sexual abuse by a custodian and will serve 10 to 20 years in prison, followed by 25 years of supervised probation.

Anderson-Freeman also will be required to register as a sexual offender and comply with various conditions, including not loitering, working or living within 1,000 feet of the victim’s home, a school, childcare facility or other place where children often are found.

Cross said the charge against Anderson-Freeman stems from an April 12, 2019 incident in Weirton in which he touched the sexual organ of a small child in his care.

He confirmed three other counts related to the same incident were dismissed as part of the plea agreement.

The matter was investigated by the West Virginia State Police.

Chase T. Martin, 20, of Weirton, pleaded guilty to attempting to commit assault, a charge stemming from his sexual relationship with a 14-year-old girl while he was 18, said Cross.

The plea agreement submitted for Martin calls for him to spend six months in a youthful offender facility, then two years on supervised probation.

Wilson noted if Martin fails to successfully complete the program, he will face the 1 to 3 year prison sentence established for the crime.

Michael Nogay, Martin’s attorney, said his client has no prior convictions or arrests.