×

Guest column/Tax renewals will benefit residents of Steubenville

Every five years, the voters of Steubenville are asked to renew two issues (operating levies) on the May primary ballot.

This year the renewal issues are No. 1 and No. 2. These involve taxes from wages only, and do not involve those who are on a fixed income.

Issue No. 1 is a renewal of the 0.7 of 1 percent income tax. Of the money generated by this, $500,000 goes to resurfacing some of the 250 lane miles of city streets. In the past it was used for Market Street, the Lovers Lane roundabout, Adams Street and the Sunset Boulevard and Lovers Lane intersection. There is a five-year schedule of road improvements that these revenues will fund throughout the city.

Also, out of this, $300,000 is allocated for capital improvements and for purchasing equipment such as police cruisers, fire trucks, sanitation packers, snow removal equipment, etc.

An additional $100,000 is set aside for parks and recreation including the upkeep and improvement of Belleview Park, Jim Wood Park, Murphy Field and Play Area, North End Park, the Martin Luther King Recreation Center, Belleview pool and playground equipment. Any remaining revenue goes into the general fund.

Issue No. 2 on the ballot is a renewal of the 0.3 of 1 percent income tax.

Of this revenue, 85 percent goes to the operations of our city safety forces (police and fire) and the remaining 15 percent goes toward street improvements.

As one can see, the renewal of Issues No. 1 and No. 2 are crucial to the operations of city services. As your mayor, I ask you to join me in voting on May 4, and saying yes on issue No. 1 and yes on issue No. 2.

As the saying goes, “We are in this together.” We live here and benefit from the services that are provided by these two issues; therefore, we need to do our part by voting yes and yes.

(Barilla is the mayor of Steubenville.)

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today