Xylitol marks a big threat for dogs

Dear Readers: Ingestion of the artificial sweetener XYLITOL is potentially life-threatening for your dog. When the dog consumes xylitol, the body reacts by producing a big release of insulin. This results in low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and possible liver damage.

Signs of xylitol poisoning include stumbling, shaking, passing out and having a seizure. Liver damage can appear as low energy, loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea.

Which products have xylitol? Diabetic foods and snacks, toothpaste, makeup, lip balm and even medicines.

Read the labels before you bring things home. Keep anything containing xylitol away from your dog. Check with your veterinarian for more information on this artificial sweetener. — Heloise

(Heloise is a columnist for King Features Syndicate. Send money-or time-saving hint to P.O. Box 795000, San Antonio, Texas 78279-5000, fax it to 210-HELOISE or E-Mail: Heloise@Heloise.com.)


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)


Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today