Edison, OAPSE members ratify new contract
RICHMOND — Edison Local Schools has ratified a new contract with staff which will carry them through the next three years.
During the July 21 meeting at Edison High School, the school board approved a negotiated deal with the Ohio Association of Public-School Employees Local No. 35 that gives the estimated 65 cooks, secretaries, custodians, aides and bus drivers an increase in their hourly rate and a bonus over the life of the contract.
“We’re happy to be able to reach a successful conclusion. The previous negotiations took 18 months but we were able to come together (this time) and reach a fair agreement for the both of us,” said Superintendent Bill Beattie.
In similar business, the board approved the superintendent’s recommendation to revise the administrative salary and fringe benefit agreement. Beattie explained state auditors had focused on contracts last year and officials merely did some housekeeping within the administrative handbook.
In other matters, the board:
• Accepted the resignation of EHS teacher Shane O’Brien, who is moving on to teach and coach at Beaver Local Schools;
• Approved supplemental contracts for Karen Crawford, ECAT at EHS; Meghan Scott, varsity girls’ soccer; Paul Baker, volunteer assistant football; David Haught, volunteer junior high football; and Anwaa Martin, volunteer wrestling;
• Approved substitute employees including Amber Christy, Amanda Hayes, April Holland, Amanda Huntsman, Brenda Kmatz, Barbara McElroy and Tracy Vincenzo, aide/cook/secretary/NBC/custodian; Tiffany Davison, NBC/custodian/cook; Amber Decker and Marsha Mazur, aide/cook; Nancy Fish, Iris Martin and Debra Parsons, aide/cook/secretary; Christina Fox, cook/aide/secretary; Tara Givens, aide/secretary; Dusty Grimm, cook/NBC/custodian; Jonathan Johnson, NBC/custodian; Lisa Mazik, Jessica Puckett and Elizabeth Watson, aide; James Mossor, custodian/NBC; Kathleen Rawson, aide/cook/NBC; Nicole Striker, cook; Dawn Wilson, aide/cook/NBC/secretary; and Suzie Zorbini, cook/secretary/NBC/custodian;
• Approved a resolution with OME-RESA and Southwestern Ohio Educational Purchasing Council to advertise and accept bids for two buses;
• Approved an agreement with Brewer-Garrett to provide engineering, project management and installation of bi-polar ionization systems for air purification of the classrooms, cafeteria and auditorium at EHS. Beattie said would could be completed by mid-September at the latest;
• Approved a school accident insurance plan through K & K Insurance Group for the 2021-22 school year;
• Approved the superintendent’s recommendation regarding change orders totaling more than $24,000 for Grae-Con Construction for the renovations at John Gregg and Stanton Elementary Schools retroactive to July 1;
• Approved a contract renewal with Affinity for $100 on behalf of Kansas State University to use the wildcat logo;
• Approve an invoice from Bricker & Eckler LLP for legal services rendered through May 31;
• Approved the STRS Employee Share payment for certified staff on the $650 lump sum salary payment in December 2020 for a total of $9,762.48; and
• Set the next regular meeting for Aug. 19 at 6 p.m. at EHS.