Two jailed after Cadiz shooting

CADIZ — A midday shooting in Cadiz left one injured and both the suspect and the victim behind bars.

Charles Williams Jr., 54, of Cadiz was arrested Wednesday afternoon after he allegedly shot another man on South Main Street in Cadiz. The shooting occurred just after 3 p.m. less than a block away from the Cadiz Police Department, according to Lt. Ron Carter.

“At 3:11 p.m. we got a call for shots fired with a male fleeing the scene. … We responded directly. It was only a block from the department,” he said.

Numerous witnesses were present at the scene directly beside the Harrison News Herald building, Carter said.

“The suspect took off running toward Warren Street. He (Williams) was located approximately nine minutes after the first call,” he said.

With numerous officers’ guns drawn, Williams surrendered and was taken into custody without further incident, Carter said. Law enforcement recovered a single shell casing on the street. A .40-caliber handgun was found shortly after Williams’ apprehension on a nearby rooftop.

The victim, Alexander Bacon, also of Cadiz, received minor injuries in the shooting. The bullet grazed the 29-year-old’s left leg just above his knee cap. Carter said Bacon refused treatment from emergency responders.

“We attempted to talk to Bacon. He has a long history with law enforcement. He got irate and began threatening officers and their families,” Carter said.

Bacon refused to cooperate with officers, who Carter said eventually used a Taser on him.

Carter said Williams claimed the reason he shot Bacon is that he had “come after him with a knife.”

Both men were arrested and taken to the Harrison County Jail.

Williams is charged with having weapons under disability, discharging a firearm in village limits and violating the governor’s stay-at-home order. He remains in jail in lieu of $50,000 bond.

Bacon is charged with aggravated menacing, failure to comply, persistent disorderly conduct, obstructing justice and violating the governor’s order. He has since been released from custody.

Carter said he wants to reassure local residents that the incident was isolated and the public has nothing to fear.

Carter commended the officers of the department for their action during the incident, which remains under investigation by the Cadiz Police Department.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)