Tainted kerosene possibly sold

MARTINS FERRY — The Starfire gasoline station and convenience store in Martins Ferry issued a recall for all kerosene purchased between 8 a.m. Friday and 9:30 a.m. Tuesday and warns consumers not to use the product because it may be contaminated by gasoline.

Martins Ferry Police Chief John McFarland said a fuel tank truck came to the station, located at 507 Crawford St. just off of Aetna Street, on Friday to make the delivery and mistakenly fueled the wrong tank. McFarland said the fuel truck came to give the station gasoline.

“The fuel truck came to give them gasoline and pumped it into the kerosene,” he said.

Law enforcement officers are reviewing security camera footage in order to obtain license plate numbers of customers who may have purchased the contaminated product.

Once they identify them, the officers will attempt to warn customers of the danger.

According to a press release issued by WRL Advertising on behalf of Starfire, consumers are being warned not to use the contaminated product in any space heater or for any other use, since it could lead equipment to malfunction or explosion.

Employees working at the service station on Tuesday had no comment and referred all questions to the corporate office.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)


Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today