Second DUI charge for Schneider

NEW CUMBERLAND — A former Liverpool Township police officer and local volunteer firefighter has been found guilty of drunken driving, his second such conviction in recent years.

Randy L. Schneider, 29, of Bell School Road, East Liverpool, was found guilty of DUI (second offense), reckless driving and driving left of center by a Hancock County Magistrate Court jury on June 7. He is scheduled to be sentenced on July 10, and the charges carry a combined maximum possible sentence of 15 months in jail and a $3,600 fine.

Schneider was involved in an accident while driving on state Route 2 through Newell at 3:50 a.m. Nov. 23, 2017. According to police, Schneider’s Jeep Liberty crossed the centerline and went off the road, crashing into a utility pool. Witnesses at trial testified it took emergency personnel about 30 minutes to extricate Schneider from his SUV before he could be flown by helicopter to a Pittsburgh hospital.

Schneider, who reportedly suffered a broken hip and arm, had a blood alcohol level of .249, three times the legal limit.

He had pleaded not guilty to the charges, with his attorney saying his client had fallen asleep behind the wheel. After a two-day trial he was found guilty of all three misdemeanor crimes. Hancock County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Jack Wood will be making a sentencing recommendation at the sentencing hearing.

Schneider was found guilty of DUI before, in August 2014, after pleading no contest in East Liverpool Municipal Court. This was after Schneider and his passenger were found passed out in a vehicle on Dresden Avenue near the Calcutta Wal-Mart at 2:56 a.m. May 18 of that year.

At the time of his 2017 accident, Schneider was a part-time officer with the Liverpool Township Police Department, but he no longer works there. He remains a part-time dispatcher with the East Liverpool Police Department and a volunteer firefighter with Calcutta Fire Department.

In the November 2017 general election several weeks before the accident, Schneider was one of five candidates who ran for two St. Clair Township trustee seats. He finished third, nearly upsetting a long-time incumbent in a close race.