×

Celebrating improvements

-- Contributed

Various improvements to the Smithfield Christian Church Disciples of Christ will be celebrated after church services Sunday during a breakfast-brunch at Le Chateau Pier on Sunday. Work included pressure washing the front of the church; painting of window sills and overhang; announcement sign improvements; and landscaping. The church was one of the oldest churches of the Ohio Valley when Thomas Campbell of Bethany gathered together its first congregation in an old log barn on the Daugherty Farm in Salt Run. The congregation moved to Smithfield in 1836 and met in a school house until 1838 when a brick building was erected at a cost of $1,000. In 1893, the building that is standing now was erected by E.B. Johnson, a local contractor and church member. A basement and social room were dug out by a group of church members and friends in 1956. In front of the improved sign are, from left, Pastor Wilfred Simeral, Elder Lamont McCoy and Judy Phillipi, church secretary and treasurer.

COMMENTS