Safety awards given locally
From staff reports
COLUMBUS – Thirteen Jefferson County employers were recognized by the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation for their workplace safety records.
The businesses received BWC’s Special Award for Safety for at least 500,000 hours and six months without an injury resulting in a day or more away from work.
“These employers have not only received a special recognition for an outstanding accomplishment, they more importantly have demonstrated a commitment to sending their workers home safely each night,” said BWC Acting Administrator/CEO Sarah Morrison. “I encourage each Ohio employer to strive for zero workplace injuries by making safety a high priority, which can help prevent claims and lower workers’ compensation costs.”
The awards were presented during the annual awards meeting of the Jefferson County Safety Council, one of more than 80 across the state that serve as partners in BWC’s efforts to educate employers and workers about the importance of workplace safety.
Safety councils are organized by local business organizations to inform participants of new safety standards and regulations, products and services and provide a thorough knowledge of topics, including occupational safety and health, workers’ compensation and risk management education.
Area employers recognized with the special award for safety included:
-Cattrell Cos. Inc., 1,744,097 hours worked.
– City of Toronto, 765,653 hours worked.
– Eastern Gateway Community College, 1,206,709 hours worked.
– Franciscan University of Steubenville, 1,356,623 hours worked.
– Geo V. Hamilton Inc., 1,080,176 hours worked.
– GVH Environmental Inc., 901,692 hours worked.
– Herald Star/Ogden News, 714,696 hours worked.
– Jefferson Behavioral Health System, 698,788 hours worked.
– Villa Royale Inc., 894,224 hours worked.
– Nursing Corps, 1,164,339 hours worked.
– Steubenville Board of Education, 820,945 hours worked.
– Titanium Metals Corp., 994,785 hours worked.
– Toronto City Schools, 602,662 hours worked.
In addition to the special award for safety, various local businesses received the group award for safety, the 100 percent award or the achievement award.