Big Red boys blank Edison

STEUBENVILLE – The latest encounter between the Big Red and Edison boys’ soccer teams could be summed up as a tale of two goalies. Edison’s Josh Woika was the busiest player on the field, while Big Red’s Tyler Clevenger saw little action.

Big Red attacked from the opening kick to the final whistle en route to a 6-0 victory against the Wildcats Tuesday night at Harding Stadium.

Big Red outshot the Wildcats, 33-0, with Woika totaling 27 saves. Clevenger did not have to make a save.

“Their goalie played a great game,” Big Red (1-1) head coach Greg Bowers said. “He kept them in the game. He made some great saves. We had some shots that normally would have gone into the net, but he made good saves on them.”

Big Red’s offensive pressure forced Edison into taking 34 goal kicks. Big Red took just two.

“He was all over the place,” first-year Edison (2-1) Aaron Richardson said about Woika’s performance. “Our defense gave up some easy shots, but he didn’t give up any easy goals. We didn’t give him enough help.”

Five players scored goals and six players picked up assists.

Adam DiCarlo delivered two goals and one assist to lead the way for the victors. Phil Stoutz and Federico Torres each recorded a goal and an assist and Jorge Dominquez and Brandon Delaratta each tallied a goal. Marc Porter, Ryan Delelles and Riley Shelton all collected an assist.

“They are going to come in bunches,” Bowers said. “It is going to come. We need to get confidence finishing. We moved the ball well. We played good defense. We were pleased with our effort from everybody.”

Big Red ended up taking 11 corner kicks, while the Wildcats took one.

“Our offense struggled today,” Richardson said. “We didn’t control the ball. We didn’t take the pressure off of our defense, and our defense wasn’t able to get passes up the field to our offense so we could some shots off.”

Big Red attacked from all over the field.

“I didn’t know a lot about them,” Richardson said. “I just saw the score from their first game. I asked our guys and my assistant coach about them. My assistant saw them play last year, but he was a spectator.”

Richardson replaced Chris Bomely as head coach of the Wildcats.

“Apart from today, things have gone a lot better this year than last year,” Richardson said. “We only have three seniors. Our team is mostly sophomores and juniors, and the sophomores and juniors got playing time last year.

“They had a rough (winless) season last year. The improvement this season has been markable.”

DiCarlo opened the scoring with 11:09 left to play in the first half. DiCarlo scored off of a corner kick by Porter.

Big Red extended its lead to 2-0 when Torres scored off of a feed from DiCarlo 1:27 before halftime.

“Their kids played hard under their new coach,” Bowers said. “They are going to get better. It was tough on them with it being so hot out and with them having a lack of guys they could bring in off of the bench, but their kids played hard until the end.”

In the second half, Stoutz, Delaratta, DiCarlo and Dominguez scored goals.

“We definitely did not play our best game,” Richardson said. “Big Red is a heck of a team.”

Woika made key saves in each half, including saving a penalty kick by Dominguez in the second half.

“We still have some things we need to improve on,” Richardson said. “My hat is off to our defense. Big Red attacked hard throughout the game. They moved the ball quickly.”

Big Red’s next match is at 7 p.m. today at home against Weir.

“They are a good team,” Bowers said. “It is going to be a tough contest.”

Edison’s welcomes East Liverpool at 5 p.m. on Sept. 4.