Big Red, Weir tie on the pitch

WEIRTON – The Big Red and Weir High boys soccer teams always seem to bring out the best in each other.

That was the case once again Tuesday evening at Jimmy Carey Stadium as the Red Riders and Big Red each netted goals in the second half resulting in the game ending in a 1-1 tie.

“It is always a good game,” Weir (6-6-2) head coach Joe Pepe said. “Big Red played very well. My kids played very well. They stepped up. This is the best we have played on the field in our last four or five games. We needed this.”

The Red Riders scored less than two minutes into the second half, and Big Red’s goal came with just under seven minutes left to play.

“We came back and put one in,” Big Red (8-3-2) head coach Greg Bowers said. “You can’t expect a great result when you only play for one half. That is the best half we have played. We got to the ball first. We moved the ball. We attacked. We were not able to get going in the first half.”

Weir’s Ethan Gilbert scored off of an assist by Ryan Kirk to give the Red Riders a 1-0 lead with 38:42 left to play in the game.

Michael Rosaschi scored for Big Red to tie the game at 1 with 6:49 remaining.

Weir goalie Matt Tenagilo and Big Red keeper John Paul Duff each finished with eight saves.

“Both of these teams compete,” Bowers said. “They are well coached. Coach Pepe does a great job. Our games are always like that.”

Weir won the first meeting, 2-1, on Aug. 30 at Jimmy Carey Stadium.

“We won the first one 2-1 and tied this one,” Pepe said. “It was a good game. Big Red always plays us tough. I am very proud of my kids. We could have rolled over after losing 7-1 to Morgantown. They are an excellent team.

“We have had a few rough games. I knew our schedule was going to be tough. We do it to prepare for the second season.

“I think we shocked a lot of teams with having such a young team. Even with a young team, we were able to make it into the OVACs. We are very inspired by that.

“We don’t get down on the kids. Sometimes, the kids get down on themselves. It is going to take time.”

Both teams are scheduled to return to the field Thursday at home. Weir will play at 5:30 p.m. against Linsly. Big Red will play at 7 p.m. against Beaver Local at Harding Stadium.

“It is a busy week, but we are starting to find ourselves,” Bowers said. “Hopefully, we can build off of that second half.”