Edison takes care of business

WEIRTON – Edison scored six first-half touchdowns, three in each quarter, and went on to hand homestanding Weir High its third straight loss of 2013, 46-14, Friday night at Jimmy Carey Stadium.

The victory puts the Wildcat record at 2-1 and sets the stage for the upcoming Buckeye Eight Conference portion of their schedule.

Coach Tony Filberto’s Red Riders sustained a rash of injuries in the loss to Harrison Central last week by the same score and came out with a completely different backfield and replacements on the line and at wide receiver. The Riders now have lost 13 straight games over two seasons.

“You can find lots of excuses – our kids are hurt and we’re young, but all you can do is worry about the kids that are with you and I thought our kids played hard,” Filberto said. “We just couldn’t get three plays in a row together. You know, we would have two good plays and break down the third play, but I’m proud of them. This was a completely different team from last week.”

On the other side, Edison first-year coach, Derrick Stickles, was glad to see his team snap back from its first loss last week.

“Yeah, we’re happy about getting a win, but we still made mistakes,” Stickles explained. “We’ll check the film and correct some of the mistakes we made and move on.”

The Wildcats scored on each of the four possessions they had in the first half with long drives and big plays. The Edison offense took advantage of what the Red Rider defense gave them.

“The way we run our offense we are very adaptable,” said Stickles. “Us lining up on the ball every single play forces them to line up and that gives us a chance to look at their defense and decide what play is best for us. We’re about running high percentage plays that are going to be successful on every down.”

Filberto noted that his club used a high risk defense and doing that means there isn’t much to stop the opposition once they get beyond the line of scrimmage.

The Wildcats got a short Weir High kickoff to open the game and set up the first drive of the game at the Red Rider 48-yard line. They drove the 48 yards in eight plays with senior quarterback going into the end zone on a sneak from one yard out. Big plays in the drive were by junior running back, Russell Shannon, on a 17-yard run and a 16-yarder by Marcus. The talented Marcus kicked the extra point giving the Wildcats a 7-0 lead less than two and a half minutes into the game.

The Red Riders moved the ball from their own 37 to the Edison 47 on the next possession, but Shannon picked off a Jake Wypasek pass that was deflected at the line of scrimmage.

Wypasek, a sophomore, was inserted into the lineup because William Larch, the Weir High starting signal caller, had concussion symptoms received when he scored a touchdown a week earlier against Harrison Central.

Three plays after the interception, Markus found a streaking Rich Springer wide open down the middle of the field for a 58 pass and run touchdown connection. The Marcus extra point kick failed, but the Wildcats held a 13-0 lead at the halfway point of the first quarter.

Wypasek, who completed three of 13 passes including a 22-yard touchdown toss, was picked off for the second time in the first quarter by Anthony Scalise to set up Edison’s third score of the opening stanza.

With the ball at the Red Rider 42, Marcus hit Springer again with the touchdown pass, this time from 42 yards out, that increased the score to 19-0.

Senior running back, Jevin Leggett got the call for Edison’s fourth touchdown. He rammed over right guard from the three and when Marcus booted another extra point the Wildcats held a commanding 26-0 lead.

That score was set up when Weir High freshman punter, Cody Enrietti, got a bad snap and could only run the ball out to the Weir High 38.

Shannon, who finished the night with 178 yards rushing, got into the scoring act with a 1-yard plunge for the fifth Wildcat touchdown.

Enrietti had backed up the Wildcats to their own 15 with a punt, but Shannon broke loose on the first play of the possession for 82 yards shaking several tacklers en route.

“Shannon is a great kid, a hard worker, and any chance I have to get him the football we’re going to do that,” Stickles said of the bruising junior running back. “We’re surrounded by a lot of athletes, but the performance Ethan put on tonight-that run where he cut back, got downfield and punished one of the defenders, it’s amazing. He’s one heck of an athlete and I’m looking forward to seeing how he progresses throughout the remainder of the season.”

Leggett bulled his way over left guard for another 1-yard touchdown to arm the Wildcats with a 39-0 halftime lead.

The Wildcats made it 46-0 with the first play of their first possession of the second half when Shannon got loose on a sweep for 67 yards.

Enter the Edison reserves and the Red Riders scored with three seconds left in the third quarter on a Wypasek to Clarence Bennett aerial of 22 yards. Alyssa Shingle booted the extra point.

Enrietti, who was inserted as quarterback in the fourth quarter, scored Weir High’s other touchdown on a 15-yard run. Single made good on the kick again.

Marcus finished the night completing five of nine passes for 143 yards and two touchdowns. He also ran the ball seven times for 49 yards.

Junior Matt Hartman, a transfer from Brooke High, replaced the injured Kameron Davis at running back for the Red Riders and got the ball for 22 rushes. He got 66 yards and some accolades from Filberto.

“I think we found a back,” Filberto said about the 160-pounder.

“He looked good. He stuck it up in there and ran hard. He looks like a good back that will get a lot of time with us and do a lot of good things for us.”

Weir High continues its home stand next Friday entertaining Grafton while the Wildcats travel to Bellaire for a Saturday afternoon game.