STEUBENVILLE A family of five evacuated their home at 510 Cedar Ave. Thursday after they noticed a large amount of smoke coming from the basement.
Marilyn Queen said she was upstairs while her husband was cooking dinner, when they both realized the smoke was not coming from the kitchen. They called the Steubenville Fire Department at about 6:10 p.m.
Chad Bell, a city firefighter, said there was significant fire damage in the basement, but the house was not a total loss. The fire may have started in a clothes dryer, he said.
EVENING FIRE — Smoke poured from the windows at 510 Cedar Ave. in Steubenville Thursday evening as city firefighters dealt with flames in the basement of the structure. No one was injured, firefighters reported. --- Shae Dalrymple
The Weirton and Mingo Junction fire departments assisted at the scene.
Queen and everyone else in the house, including their pets, got out safely.