Toronto schools open enrollment
The Toronto School District open enrollment applications are now being accepted at the district central office, Karaffa Middle School and Toronto Junior Senior High School.
The district welcomes all applying for open enrollment. To do so, applicants can contact the superintendent's office by calling (740) 537-2456, extension 200. For information on open enrollment, call Superintendent Fred Burns at (740) 537-2456, extension 210.
Applications for Festival of the Arts
The Focus in Toronto organization is accepting crafter, food and direct sales vendors until Aug. 1 for the Toronto Festival of the Arts set Aug. 30-31. All vendors interested should sign up early to take advantage of discounts on booth fees listed online. Applications can be found at www.FocusInToronto.com/festival. All confirmed vendors are listed online. The organization is seeking entertainment. All interested should fill out an online application. Once the lineup is complete it will be posted online.
The festival also is seeking sponsors. All sponsors receive one year of advertisement on the newly designed website. For information, go to www.FocusInToronto.com.
Events at First Presbyterian Church
- Sunday -Sunday school begins at 9:40 a.m. Worship at 11 a.m. The Presbyterian Women's Association will meet after worship.
- Wednesday - Choir practice is at 7 p.m.
- Thursday - The yarn ministry meets at 10 a.m.
- May 2-3 The Gleaners Trash to Treasures sale will be in the church basement.
The church office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
North River Avenue Christian events
- Sunday - Worship service at 9:45 a.m.; junior church service in the junior worship area for youth ages 5 through fourth grade at 10:45 a.m.; Sunday school at 11 a.m.; and the youth group meets at 6 p.m.
- Monday - The Boy Scouts meet at 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday - Bible study will begin at 7 p.m. Adult choir practice is set for 8:15 p.m.
- May 6 - The daughter's banquet will be 6:30 p.m. in the fellowship hall. Signup sheets are on the church bulletin board.
Riverview United Methodist plans
- The church office is open from 8 a.m. until noon Mondays through Fridays. For information, call (740) 537-2210. The Toronto Unit of the Salvation Army located in the Riverview Church is available from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. For information, call (740) 537-4737.
First United Methodist activities
- Sunday- The rise and shine service begins at 8:30 a.m. The church social begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Wednesday - The choir meets at 7 p.m.
- Thursday - The Adventure Club meets at 3:30 p.m. TOPS will meet at 5:30 p.m.
- May 2 - TOPS meets at 9 a.m.
Prescription assistance program
Those between ages 18-64 who have no prescription drug insurance can call (740) 537-2210 for assistance. Volunteers will help clients apply for low-cost or no-cost medications. The free program provides assistance at the Riverview United Methodist Church, 105 N. River Ave. Assistance is provided on the first Thursday of each month from 10 a.m. to noon. The entrance to the church is handicap accessible.
Those age 65 or older and who have no prescription insurance are eligible for the program.
This is not a distribution center for medications, but a volunteer-based program that assists in filling out paperwork and sending in necessary applications to drug manufacturers. Once approved, clients begin receiving medications directly from companies in six to eight weeks.
Bible Methodist activities
- Sunday - Morning Sunday school, 10 a.m.; service, 11 a.m.; evening service, 6 p.m.; weekly Bible study, 5:30 p.m.