STEUBENVILLE - The Fort Steuben Mall is partnering with local businesses and organizations to present "Community 4 A Cure" week Monday through Saturday.
Several activities are on tap throughout the week to show support for those in the community who are battling cancer.
In addition, those who'd like to honor a cancer survivor or victim are invited to bring that person's picture to the mall's customer service desk any time this month. Make sure to include the person's name and hometown, indicate if they are a survivor or the disease claimed their lives, and a self-addressed, stamped envelope if you'd like the photo returned.
The photos will be displayed on the "Survivors, Fighters & The Fallen" wall.
- Monday - The Fort Steuben Mall and Trinity Health System will donate $50 to the Women in Action Against Cancer Coalition for every person who stops by the Shave-A-Thon station at the mall's center court from noon to 6 p.m. Monday to get their head shaved or donates 10-plus inches of their hair to Locks of Love. WOGH-FM will be doing a live broadcast from noon to 2 p.m.
Those who are unable to be at Monday's Shave-A-Thon can stop by a participating salon throughout the week to have their heads shaved or donate to Locks of Love. Fort Steuben Mall and Trinity will still donate the $50 to WIAACC. The offer ends Friday.
All participants must fill out a form and have it signed by a representative of one of the mall hair salons. Forms are available at the customer service center.
Participating salons are Regis, Mastercuts, Merle Norman and the J.C. Penney Salon.
- Tuesday - Visit a participating restaurant between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. and they'll donate 10 percent of the check to WIAACC. Participating restaurants include Texas Roadhouse, Quiznos, Corrado's Pizza, The Ville and We're Rolling Pretzel Co.
- Wednesday - WIAACC's annual Survivor's Wreath Ceremony Celebration will be held at center court beginning at noon. The ceremony will honor survivors as well as friends and family members lost to cancer. There will be information booths as well as special prize drawings. Those attending are encouraged to bring photos to display on the "Survivors, Fighters & The Fallen" wall.
- Thursday - Kurt James Fun & Games and We're Rolling Pretzel Co. are sponsoring "Dunk for a Cure," a chance to plunge local personalities and business leaders in water, from noon to 2 p.m. and again from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. The price is $5 per ball. There's no age requirement, and participants are free to purchase as many balls as they wish.
Participating personalities include Fort Steuben Mall Manager Lou Petrozzi, noon to 1 p.m.; Radio personality Cindy Taylor 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.; WIAACC President Judy Manfred, 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.; and Steubenville Police Department's Shawn Scott, an officer and chaplain.
- Friday - The Herald-Star and Perry's Glo-Putt Mini Golf Scramble team up to offer a fun twist on the classic golf scramble. From noon to 9 p.m. teams of four playing a round of miniature golf at Perry's Glow Putt can turn in their scorecards to Fort Steuben Mall customer service. The teams with the lowest combined score will win prizes. Entry fee is $50 per team, and entry forms are available on the mall's website, www.ftsteubenmall.com, the mall's Facebook page or at its customer service center.
- Saturday - WIAACC's Walking Poker Run/5K will be hold. Individcuals and teams can walk a 5K - 13 laps - around the mall. Along the way they can stop at any seven participating stores to pick up their poker card for a round of 5 Card Stud (best five of seven cards.) Prizes will be awarded for best poker hand, worst poker hand and best dressed individual and team, among other things. Individual registration is $20, with teams of four eligible to register for just $15 per person. Children must be able to walk on their own to qualify as a team member.
Entrants will receive a pink bandana, a T-shirt, and an arm's length strip of Chinese auction tickets. Participating stores will leave baskets outside their stores to collect tickets. Winners will be announced when the poker run winners are identified.
Partnering businesses are donating the proceeds to WIAACC.
For information on any of the programs, contact Steph McVicker, the mall's marketing director, at (704) 264-7781.