HICKORY - The Mount Pleasant Township, Pa., Volunteer Fire Department will hold the 30th-annual Apple Festival Oct. 5-6 at the fire hall grounds, located at 106 Main St. on state Route 50.
The event will include homemade food and crafts, craft demonstrations, children's activities and live entertainment.
Crafters will demonstrate wood-burning, rug-making, wood-carving, basket-weaving, pottery-throwing, quilting, spinning, broom-making and tole-painting.
FESTIVAL TIME — Crafters will be demonstrating their craft in a variety of disciplines, and a full slate of children’s activities will be available during the 30th-annual Mount Pleasant Township, Pa., Volunteer Fire Department Apple Festival Oct. 5-6 at the fire hall grounds on state Route 50 in Hickory. — Staff photo
Children's activities include an apple-bobbing contest, apple pie-eating contest, petting zoo, hay rides, face-painting, balloon animals, inflatables and a fire safety house.
A pancake breakfast will be held from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. each day at the firehall dining room, and apples and all kinds of apple-based foods will be available, including apple dumplings, caramel apples, apple pie, warm or chilled apple cider and homemade apple butter. Fresh stone oven-baked bread, fresh-made cornmeal, slow-cooked bean soup, fire-roasted chicken, roast beef, hot sausage, kielbasa, roast pork, hot dogs and hamburgers will be available.
The entertainment schedule is as follows:
- 10 a.m. to 11 a.m., Fort Cherry High School Band.
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., The Entertainers on the small stage.
- 1 p.m. to 2:15 p.m., The Stickers on the large stage.
- 2:15 p.m. to 3:15 p.m., Mon Valley Cloggers on the small stage.
- 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., apple pie-eating contests on the small stage.
- 4 p.m. to 5:15 p.m., The Stickers on the large stage.
- 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., Hickory United Evangelical Presbyterian Church services on the large stage.
- 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Mon Valley Pickers on the small stage.
- 1 p.m. to 2:15 p.m., The Holidays on the large stage.
- 2:15 p.m. to 3:15 p.m., Frank Palombi Orchestra on the small stage.
- 3:15 p.m. to 4 p.m., apple pie-eating contest on the small stage.
- 4 p.m. to 5:15 p.m., The Holidays on the large stage.
The volunteer firefighters travel 88 miles of road to serve 3,422 residents and a number of businesses. The Hickory Apple Festival is the largest fundraiser for the fire department.
General admission and parking are free, and there will be free shuttle service from the off-site parking lots. Limited on-site handicapped parking will be available.