Health department offering shots, testing
STEUBENVILLE - The Jefferson County Health Department, 500 Market St., will offer immunizations, flu shots and TB testing from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesday.
Immunizations and flu shots also will be offered from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursday at the health department.
For information, call (740) 283-8541.
Cancer memorial blood drive set
BETHANY - The Pre-Health Professions Club recently announced it will be hosting a cancer memorial blood drive from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Nov. 14 in the private dining rooms of Benedum Commons at Bethany College.
"The drive is being held in honor of those who lost their lives to cancer and in honor of those that continue the fight," said Tanner Coles, site coordinator and training provider for the American Red Cross River Valley Chapter and the Greater Alleghenies Blood Service Region.
Those who volunteer and donate will receive a free pint of ice cream while supplies last and also will be entered to win a Sheetz gift card.
Ohio jury to resume in Craigslist case
AKRON - An Ohio jury concluded deliberations Friday without a verdict in the case of a teenager accused of participating in the slayings of three men lured by phony Craigslist job offers.
Prosecutors portray Brogan Rafferty, the teenage defendant in the slayings of three men lured by phony Craigslist job offers, as a full accomplice in the crimes.
Rafferty's lawyer says he was a scared child stuck in a horrible situation and afraid that, if he rebelled, he and his family would be killed.
Jurors got the case Thursday afternoon and will resume Monday.
Rafferty, 17, faces life in prison without chance of parole if convicted of aggravated murder in the shooting deaths of the men last year. Two were killed in rural eastern Ohio and one was killed near Akron.
His co-defendant, Richard Beasley, who has pleaded not guilty and will be tried separately, could face the death penalty if convicted. As a juvenile, Rafferty can't be sentenced to death.
Ohio to appeal court ruling on ballots
COLUMBUS - Ohio's top elections official is appealing a federal ruling that expands the conditions under which provisional ballots are counted in the presidential swing state.
U.S. District Judge Algenon Marbley ruled this week that provisional ballots cast not just in the wrong precinct but in the wrong polling location altogether must still be counted.
A lawyer for a union that sued the state over the issue said as many as 8,000 voters cast such ballots in 2008.
Secretary of State Jon Husted filed his notice of appeal Friday. The state had opposed the expansion, saying it could create Election Day chaos because of new training requirements for poll workers.
Marbley on Wednesday said he based his decision on the rationale that such problems arise because of mistakes by poll workers.
From staff and wire reports