STEUBENVILLE - From the moment it carried its first traffic, shortly after 6 a.m. on Aug. 18, 1928, until it was officially closed in January 2009, the Fort Steuben Bridge provided a vital link in our area's transportation system, helping to connect Steubenville and Weirton.
The historical structure met a spectacular end at 7:15 a.m. Feb. 21, when it was imploded into the Ohio River.
Michael D. McElwain, a photographer with the Herald-Star and The Weirton Daily Times, captured the bridge's final moments, just as the strategically placed explosive charges fired that morning.
Michael D. McElwain
FOR SALE — Crews with Controlled Demolitions Inc. of Phoenix, Md., detonated 20 explosive blasts, each lasting only 0.35 seconds and occurring only nine milliseconds apart, to bring down the remainder of the Fort Steuben Bridge Feb. 21. This photo depicting the explosive end is now on sale and available at the Herald-Star offices. The blast was part of a $2.3 million demolition project undertaken by the Joseph B. Fay Co. of Russellton, Pa.
That photograph, which was reproduced by numerous news outlets across the country, including the Wall Street Journal and the Los Angeles Times, is now being made available to Tri-State Area residents for purchase.
A 12-by-18-inch print on Kodak paper can be obtained for $15 plus tax, while a framed 12-by-18-inch print on Kodak paper can be purchased for $25 plus tax.
To purchase your copy of this historic photograph, visit the newspaper office at 401 Herald Square, Steubenville, or call (740) 283-4711.