GERARD, Frank “Jug,” was reunited with his wife, Louise, and infant son, Barry on April 19, 2013. He spent his last days under the tender care of Hospice House.
He was the firstborn of Frank and Mary Gerard in Steubenville, OH on January 28, 1929.
He married Louise on November 13, 1949. At 65 he received a Cleveland Clinic heart transplant setting the bar for older healthy patients to receive hearts. He was the best husband, father and “Pa” a family could have.
Survivors are sons, Gary (Barb) and Jim (Becky) grandchildren, Kristi, Lindsay, Brad (Sarah) Gerard, Erin (Eric) Nutter; great-grand children, Luke and Tess Gerard; brother, Ray (Ann) Gerard; sister, Carol Hibbits: brother-in-laws George (Stella) Medich and Jim (Olga) Bryden; and many loving nieces and nephews.
He graduated from Wintersville High School. He served in the army in pre-war Korea. At West Liberty College he majored in education and played football. His first coaching job was at Smithville HS where he also drove the bus to games! In 1958 he moved to Painesville to teach and to coach basketball, golf and football at Riverside HS. He became head football coach in 1968 and Athletic Director in 1972. He retired in 1985 and regularly “sideline” coached his four grandchildren! His love for golf led him to work at Painesville Country Club as a starter and ranger, as well as join the Friday Night Couples League with his wife.
Jug was preceded in death by his parents, Frank and Mary; brother, Joe; sister, Delores (Frank) Hiser; and brother-in-law, Jim Hibbits.
Calling hours are 2-5 p.m., Sunday, April 21 at Spear-Mulqueeny Funeral Home, 667 Mentor Ave. Services will be held a 10 a.m., April 22 at the funeral home with burial next to his wife at Riverside Cemetery.
The family would like to thank Terri, Tri-Point Hospital, and Hospice House for their TLC.
In lieu of flowers, donations would be appreciated to The American Heart Association, 1689 E. 115th St. Cleveland, OH 44106 or Hospice of the Western Reserve, 5786 Heisley Rd., Mentor, Ohio 44060.