Port authority to review new goals, progress
STEUBENVILLE — The Jefferson County Port Authority will hold its fifth-annual breakfast meeting at 8 a.m. Wednesday at Froehlich’s Classic Corner.
Evan Scurti, port authority executive director, said the meeting will review highlights of the port authority’s activities throughout the year and goals going into 2019.
The guest speaker will be Pete Vojvodich, vice president of human resources and safety at JSW Steel U.S.A. Vojvodich is a graduate of Catholic Central High School.
JSW Steel announced in June it had completed most of its purchase of Acero Junction Holdings in Mingo Junction for $80.85 million. JSW is India’s largest exporter of steel with a presence in 100 countries.
The Economic Times of India reported JSW has acquired 83 percent of Acero Junction, with the remaining 17 percent being transferred after future payments. The Economic Times reported JSW will take over Acero Junction’s debt of $101.56 million.
JSW announced the proposed sale at the end of March and also its plans to invest $500 million at its existing pipe mill in Baytown, Texas.
“We are looking forward to what he can share about JSW and why the company is making an investment in Jefferson County. I think it will be a great case study for the community to see,” Scurti said.
He noted there are other large investments being made at industrial sites in the county, including TIMET in Toronto.
He said the county’s industrial park development is moving forward and noted ongoing industrial site redevelopment in Steubenville and Yorkville at former steel plants.
Scurti said development doesn’t come without infrastructure being upgraded. He noted the rebuilding of a section of Commercial Avenue near the entrance to the JSW steel plant in Mingo Junction as an example.
“Overall, we are seeing more capital investment in the county,” he said.