Alleged attacker of officer arrested

MINGO JUNCTION – A village resident wanted for allegedly attacking a village police officer Tuesday evening was arrested Wednesday following a lengthy foot pursuit.

The officer was trying to arrest a 15-year-old male wanted for business break-ins.

The officer saw the 15-year-old male in the 100 block of Murdock Avenue. The juvenile has an outstanding warrant for break-ins. Police reported the officer chased the juvenile into a home on Murdock Avenue.

The officer found the juvenile hiding behind a bedroom door. The officer grabbed the juvenile’s arm but he pulled away. The officer then was tackled by an 18-year-old man, later identified as Zackery Renforth of 132 Lincoln Ave.

While the officer was down on the ground, a pit bull in the home bit the officer in the face and caused a laceration to the nose and mouth, police reported.

The juvenile and Renforth then ran out of the house before the officer could apprehend them.

Wednesday afternoon, a juvenile court probation officer and officers from the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department and Wells Township initially came together with village police officers to locate Renforth and the juvenile, starting in the 100 block of Stanton Avenue. Residents said they had just left and construction workers on Lincoln Avenue reported the pair were seen running into the woods.

Ohio State Highway Patrol troopers and officers from the Jefferson County Drug Task Force joined in on the chase. Police reported Renforth and the juvenile split up early in the chase.

Renforth ran into Rocky’s salvage yard on Goulds Road, where he was apprehended by Tom Ellis of the drug task force.

Renforth is facing charges of assault on a police officer and obstructing official business.

There were 13 officers involved in the chase.

Officers went back to Stanton Avenue to search for the juvenile, and a cash register taken during a break-in of a village pizza shop was found in the basement of house at 135 Stanton Ave.

Items taken believed stolen in other business break-ins were discovered, police reported. Clothing worn in the break-ins also was discovered, an officer reported.

The 15-year-old still was at large this morning.