Field set for May 6 primaries
STEUBENVILLE – Wednesday was the filing deadline for candidates and issues and levies for the May 6 primary election.
Jack Cera, a Democrat of Bellaire, is seeking re-election to the 96th Ohio House of Representatives seat. Ron Ferguson, a Republican of 299 Orlando Manor, Wintersville, also filed for the seat.
Patrick Marshall, Democrat, of 500 Buena Vista Blvd. filed for re-election as county auditor. He will face Scott M. Renforth of 512 Daniels St., Toronto, in the Democratic primary.
Three Democrats have filed for the open seat as a judge of common pleas court. Judge David Henderson announced he is retiring in December at the end of his term.
Craig Allen of 1117 Federal St., Toronto, Michelle G. Miller of 1218 township Road 156, Rayland, and Lydia E. Spragin of 333 S. Fourth St. filed for the seat on the bench.
Joseph Bruzzese Jr., Democrat, of 1402 township Road 249, Toronto, filed for re-election unopposed as a common pleas court judge.
Joseph M. Corabi, Democrat, of 3 Normandy Drive, Wintersville, is seeking the probate judge seat and is unopposed. Sitting Probate Judge Sam Kerr is being forced to retire. Judges in Ohio cannot seek re-election after they reach age 70.
Thomas Graham, Democrat, of 178 Anthony Drive, Wintersville, is seeking re-election unopposed as county commissioner.
Independent candidates have until 4 p.m. on May 5 to file to be on the Nov. 4 general election.
The following levies and issues were filed:
-Jefferson County Joint Vocational School, 0.5-mill renewal for current expenses, reconditioning and/or purchasing or acquiring additional or replacement tools, equipment or furnishings and for repairing improving, renovating or expanding or reconstructing buildings for 10 years.
– Yorkville, formation of electric aggregation district.
– Wells Township, 2-mill replacement, police department operations and police personnel salaries, for continuing period of time.
– Tiltonsville, formation of electric aggregation district.
– Jefferson County Prime Time, 1-mill renewal and additional 0.2 mill for senior citizen services.
– Edison Local School District, 5.9-mill additional for current expenses for five years.
– New Somerset Precinct, Kellys Old Skool, 8898 state Route 213, Toronto, sale of spiritious liquor.
– New Somerset Precinct, Kellys Old Skool, 8898 state Route 213, Toronto, Sunday sales of beer, wine an mixed beverages and spiritious liquor from 10 a.m. until midnight.
– Eastern Ohio Regional Transit Authority, renewal of 2 mills and increase in the amount of 0.5 mill, for all purposes other than bond debt charges, for three-year period.
– Cross Creek Township, excluding villages of New Alexandria and Wintersville, formation of natural gas aggregation district.
– Cross Creek Township, excluding villages of New Alexandria and Wintersville, formation of electric aggregation district.
– Rayland, formation of electric aggregation district.
– Wintersville, 2-mill renewal for fire protection and emergency medical services for five-year period.
April 7 is the voter registration deadline for the May primary.