Creek students to be enriched
MINGO JUNCTION – Children enrolled in kindergarten through sixth grade will be offered the chance to continue their education and enrichment activities this year during Indian Creek Local School District’s before- and after-school program.
The program, which will run before and after school at Wintersville Elementary and Hills Elementary, will provide age and grade level appropriate activities that will assist children with homework, study skills, self-improvement opportunities and computer education, according to school officials.
Certified teachers and teachers’ aides will direct the activities on a daily basis for the duration of the school year.
The schedule will be as follows: Before-school hours, 7 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. at Hills Elementary and 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. at Wintersville Elementary; after-school hours will be from 2:45 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. at Hills Elementary; and from 3:45 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. at Wintersville Elementary All pupils in fifth and sixth grades wishing to participate will attend the activities at Hills Elementary.
Snacks will be served daily as well. Transportation must be provided by the parents of the participants and will not be provided by the school district, except for the fifth- and sixth-graders who will be transported from the middle school to Hills Elementary after school.
For information, visit the principal’s office at either elementary school.
During the monthly school board meeting held at the middle school Thursday, the board:
– Entered into an agreement with the Indian Creek Athletic Boosters Club to lease the areas of the gymnasium, main entrance, hallways, restrooms, cafeteria and parking lots at the Bantam Ridge Building for fundraising activities and events.
– Approved the exchange student application of Igor Galvao DeFranca of Brazil, who will live with Robb Townsend of Mingo Junction.
– Entered into an agreement with Kathy Eddy to provide physical therapy services to students during the 2013-14 school year at a cost of $50 an hour and Amy Purcell to provide physical therapy services to students during the 2013-14 school year at a cost of $35 an hour.
– Accepted a proposal by Proteam Solutions Inc. to provide educational aide services for designated special needs students.
– Approved provisions for calamity days with the Indian Creek Education Association regarding a plan to require students to access and complete classroom lessons posted on the district’s web site in order to make up days in the school year.
– Entered into an agreement with Jefferson Behavioral Health System to provide a teacher for the youth day treatment program at a cost of $75 per day for actual days worked.
– Agreed upon the following individuals in coaching positions: Kerri Ferguson, varsity volleyball assistant; Paula Grabits, ninth-grade volleyball; Joseph Lewis, boys soccer assistant coach; and Eugene Ciciarelli, girls soccer assistant coach. The board approved the resignation request of Rachel Pompa from the position of girls soccer assistant coach.
– Permitted the re-employment of retired teachers Elida Petrella, high school economics, and Phyllis Ferris, special education, at Wintersville Elementary.
– Approved the continuing contracts for central office staff Kristie Sims and Pamela Watson and suspended the contracts of classified employees Melissa Miller, David Frazier, Deborah Gampolo and Crystal Davis.
– Accepted the following individuals as volunteers: Molly Edgerly and Brittany Sperlazza, volleyball assistant coach; and Pam Shimon and Carrie Tilton, junior high and high school cheerleading.
– Approved the resignation request of educational aide Linda Scarabino.
– Approved Cynthia Schultz as a classified substitute as classroom aide and cafeteria worker.
– Permitted the employment of Brittany LeFebvre as intervention teacher.