New Toronto school discussed during meeting
TORONTO – The district’s new school and upcoming school year were discussed during Thursday’s city school board meeting.
The district’s new school to house grades sixth through 12th will open on schedule on Sept. 3, according to Fred Burns, superintendent.
The board discussed several aspects of the opening during the meeting.
“Bus routes will be up on our website shortly,” Burns said, adding the site can be reached at www.torontocityschools.k12.oh.us. “We’re keeping fees and lunch prices the same as last year. The official name of the new school will be Toronto Junior/Senior High School. The board voted on that name, and we didn’t name it after anyone.”
Burns also said the district is holding off on refinancing of bonds sold to finance the school because of a recent increase in interest rates. The district has an opportunity to do so because of actions taken by the federal government, but Burns said the district will have to wait until interest rates drop.
“It won’t benefit us if the interest rates keep going up,” he said. “But we have everything in place to (refinance) if interest rates do drop.”
In other business:
– Burns said he believes money raised through an auction of items at the former Toronto High School combined with a $50,000 Pugliese grant will allow the district to finish the stadium new lighting project.
– Burns said three educators, including Merideth Rock, Cody Sutton and Melissa Stiles, asked to be let out of their contracts for the coming school year. He added all three requests came after a July 10 deadline to do so as stipulated in their teaching contracts.
“Because of the late resignations, we’ll be looking very hard for suitable replacements,” said Burns. “Replacing teachers after July 10 can be a very difficult task. I’m going to release them (from their contracts) as soon as I find replacements.”
The next board meeting will be at 5 p.m. on Aug. 8 in the Karaffa Elementary School library.