Trial opens in shooting on LaBelle from 2011

STEUBENVILLE – A jury trial concerning shots being fired in June 2011 on Maryland Avenue began Wednesday before Jefferson County Common Pleas Judge David Henderson.

Kinlaw Hendrix, 27, of Steubenville, formerly of Knoxville, Ill., is charged with felonious assault, tampering with evidence and menacing by stalking.

Co-defendant Jonathan T. Bray, 22, of Chicago pleaded guilty in November to complicity to felonious assault and tampering with evidence in connection with the incident. He was sentenced by Henderson to 30 months in prison.

Also, Chanice D. Adkins, 27, of East Liverpool was indicted on charges of complicity to felonious assault and complicity to tampering with evidence. Justin Campbell, 23, of Chicago was indicted on charges of complicity to felonious assault and tampering with evidence. Adkins and Campbell have not been served with copies of their indictments.

Assistant Prosecutor Frank Bruzzese said Hendrix was involved in an argument with two men on June 8, 2011, in the parking lot of Maryland Market in the 1400 block of Maryland Avenue. Hendrix left the scene but returned in an SUV, which was driven by Adkins, with Bray and Campbell as backseat passengers.

Bruzzese said Hendrix brandished a firearm and pointed it at one of the men he previously had been arguing with and said he was going to kill him.

Hendrix fired several shots as the vehicle sped from the scene. Bruzzese said shots also were fired from the backseat area of the vehicle. He said more shots were fired as the vehicle turned onto Ohio Street.

Bruzzese said the SUV was parked near a home in the 1200 block of Pennsylvania Avenue.

City Police surrounded the home and found the four SUV occupants inside, along with two other people.

Bruzzese said officers found firearms used in shooting in duct work in the basement of the house.

Bruzzese said Vincetta Tsouris, co-owner of Maryland Market, actually got in front of the armed Hendrix, put a hand on his chest and told him to think about what he was going to do.

Bruzzese told the jury gunshot residue tests were done on three defendants, including Hendrix, which showed they had recently fired a gun. He said shells found at the scene match the caliber of the guns found at the house.

Hendrix, when interviewed by police Detective John Lelless, admitted to having a gun but he “ditched” it after leaving the scene.

Hendrix’s attorney, R. Aaron Miller, said there were crimes committed that night but not the crimes alleged by the prosecution.

He said there is a lot more to the story than what Bruzzese said.

Miller said witnesses saw shots being fired into the air, and Hendrix never pointed a gun at anyone.

He said his client’s fingerprints and DNA were not found on a gun.

Miller said there is not enough evidence to convict Hendrix, adding it is still unclear what happened that night.

The trial is expected to continue through Friday.