Man sentenced in fatal stabbing

STEUBENVILLE – Teddy L. Clark, 35, was sentenced to 18 years in prison on Tuesday by Jefferson County Common Pleas Judge David Henderson after Clark pleaded guilty to charges he fatally stabbed a man on Jan. 19, 2012.

Clark pleaded guilty to charges of voluntary manslaughter, kidnapping and tampering with evidence.

Clark and James E. Daniels Jr., 53, were drinking at a downtown bar on Jan. 19, 2012, and left together, driving to Highland Avenue. Clark admitted in court he stabbed Daniels after the two got into an argument.

Jefferson County Prosecutor Jane Hanlin said Clark initially was indicted on charges of murder and tampering with evidence. She said Clark faced life in prison, with parole eligibility after 15 years.

Hanlin said she had extensive plea negotiations with Clark’s retained attorney, Steven Stickles, after which Clark agreed to plead guilty to a bill of information charging voluntary manslaughter, kidnapping and tampering with evidence.

Clark was sentenced to the maximum time – 11 years -on the voluntary manslaughter charge and seven years on the kidnapping charge, with both charges to be consecutively served. He also was sentenced to three years on the tampering with evidence charge, to be served concurrently with the other charges for a total of 18 years in prison.

Jocelyn Watkins, the sister of Daniels, said her brother was a homosexual. She said Clark and Daniels had a relationship. Watkins said Clark had a choice the night of Jan. 19, 2012, but stabbed him several times, including a deep cut to the neck, which she said was an attempt to take off her brother’s head. She said it is not her position to judge Clark, saying she is doing her best to forgive Clark.

Daniels walked into the City Police station around 3 a.m. on Jan. 19, 2012, saying he had been assaulted. Daniels suffered a deep knife wound to the neck and was profusely bleeding. He lost consciousness at the police station but not before he gave officers some information. Daniels later died at a Pittsburgh hospital.

Clark apologized to his family and Daniels’ family.

“There is nothing I can do to bring him back. I am sorry,” he said.

Hanlin said Clark prevented Daniels from leaving the car and then hid the knife used in the stabbing. City Police reported the knife was never recovered.