Madonna commencement set for Sunday
WEIRTON – Weirton Madonna High School will be holding commencement exercises for the Class of 2013 at 3 p.m. Sunday at St. Joseph the Worker Parish.
The top students from the Class of 2013 include the following:
- Sarah Ann Mills, daughter of Robert and Katrina (Wanchic) Mills of Weirton, will graduate valedictorian of the Madonna High School graduating class of 2013. She is a five-year vocal student, receiving high honors three years in a row at West Liberty University’s Music Club Competition for Musical Theatre. She is a three-year piano student and is treasurer of Madonna High School National Honor Society. Mills is a four-year member of the Pro-Life, Prayer and Interact clubs. She is a parishioner of St. Paul Catholic Church in Weirton and is a graduate of St. Paul Grade School. She will be attending West Virginia University in the fall 2013 to pursue studies in engineering.
- Amy Leigh Davis is the daughter of Kevin and Mary Davis of Weirton. She is a member of St. Joseph the Worker Parish. She served three years as the Madonna Class of 2013 president and one year as National Honors Society vice president, Interact secretary, and S.A.D.D secretary. Davis is a member of the Prayer, Pro-life, Art, and Pep clubs and participated on the JETS team for two years. She was a sophomore participant in the Weirton Youth Leadership program. She was selected as Madonna’s representative to attend the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Conference, Rhododendron Girls State, and was chosen for the West Virginia Governor’s Honors Academy. She participated as a volunteer for Lend-A-Hand Appalachia and has been a Girl Scout for 12 years. Davis recently completed her Girl Scout Gold Award. She has also served as a volunteer at the Community Bread Basket, the Weirton Senior Citizens Center, and worked as a counselor at NPYSA Force Soccer Camps. She is a four-year letterman in soccer and has achieved various levels of All-State, All OVAC, and All Valley recognition. She is a four-year letterman in tennis and was a state tennis tournament qualifier. She is also a three-year basketball letterman, achieving post season honors All OVAC and All Valley. Davis has been recognized as a member of Who’s Who Among American High School Students, a member of the United States Achievement Academy for Excellence in Science, and an OVAC All Conference Academic honoree. In the fall of 2012, she was named a Wendy’s Heisman State Finalist. She was selected as the 2012-13 West Virginia Athletic Directors Association Female Scholar Athlete. She also was named a Gay Larsen Charitable Educational Trust recipient. Davis was chosen as the Elks Student of the Month in January 2013 and went on to win the Weirton BPOE Lodge 1801 Scholarship. She has been admitted to the Honors College at West Virginia University and plans to major in nursing.
- Charles Kotten is the son of Joseph and Jacquelyn Kotten. He is the grandson of Ed and Charlie Klee and Patrick and Kathy Kotten. Charles is the brother to Gabrielle. He is a four-year member of the football and baseball teams, receiving two letters in football. He has been his class treasurer all four years of high school. He has maintained a 4.0 GPA throughout high school. Kotten is a member of The National Honors Society and The United States Achievement Academy. He has received OVAC All-conference academic awards and has participated in Weirton Rotary Youth Leadership. He has participated in Lend-a-hand for Appalachia all four years of high school. He is a member of the Interact, Art, Prayer, Pro-life, Travel, and Ski clubs. He is a member of St. Joseph the Worker Parish. Kotten will be attending Ohio State University in the fall to study engineering.
- Nicolette Sellitti is the daughter of Tony and Vicki Sellitti. She is the president of National Honor Society. She is also the president of the Religious club, a member of the Interact club, SADD club, Drama club, Pep club, and yearbook staff. Sellitti is a two-year letterman and captain of the volleyball and basketball teams. She is a member of St. Joseph the Worker Parish, and will be attending West Virginia University in the fall to study business and economics.
- Joseph Kirk Holmes, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Holmes of Weirton, has been a member of National Honor and Junior Engineering Technological societies as well as Interact, Environmetnal science, Outdoor, and Ski clubs. As a Blue Don he has been a member of the wrestling and track teams. In his personal life, Holmes has also achieved a second degree black belt in Chun Kuk Do. He has volunteered at St. Joseph Church as an alter server. He has volunteered to repair and rebuild houses in southern West Virgina as part of Lend A Hand for Appalachia. Holmes plans on attending Wheeling Jesuit University.
- Makenna Dziatkowicz is the daughter of Mark and Cathy Dziatkowicz. She was a four-year letter winner and captain of the track team, and a three-year letter winner and captain of the cheering squad. Dziatkowicz was a member of the Prayer Club, Pep Club, Travel Club, Interact, and S.A.D.D., and was also one of Madonna’s representatives for the OVAC Varsity Board. She was vice president of her class from freshman to junior year and is a member of National Honor Society. She attends Sacred Heart of Mary Parish where she is a lector and eucharistic minister. She will attend West Virginia University in the fall to study nursing.
- Alan Green is the son of Jeff and Tamara Green. He is the treasurer of student council and a member of National Honors Society. Green is a one-year letterman and captain of the track team. He is a member of Sacred Heart of Mary Parish, and will be attending West Virginia University to major in computer engineering
- Alexandra Rose Yazbek is a member of the Pro-Life, Prayer, Interact, Outdoor, and Travel clubs. She also served as student trainer for the Blue Don football team and is a three-year letter winner in track. She was elected to the 2012 Madonna Homecoming Court, and is a member of the National Honor Society. She is the current Senior Class Representitive and a member of student council. Yazbek is a member of St. Joseph the Worker Parish and is attending West Virginia University in the fall to pursue a degree in business management.
- Kaitlin McGaughey is the daughter of Jeff and Kristin Doughty. She is the Historian of National Honors Society, and the president of Mat Maids and Art club. She is a member of the Pro-Life club, Prayer club, Pep club, S.A.D.D., Interact, and the yearbook staff. McGaughey is also a participant of Lend-A-Hand for Appalachia. She is a graduate of Weirton Youth Leadership, and was a three-year member of the cheering squad. McGaughey will be attending West Liberty University in the fall to study exercise physiology and pursue a career in physical therapy.
- Julia Renae Castellucci is the daughter of Joe Castellucci and Jessica Matask, and sister to Marina of Weirton. She is the vice president of her senior class and a member of Student Council. She has been a member of many clubs including Interact, Pep, Prayer, Pro-Life, Mat Maids, and S.A.D.D, of which she is the president. She has also been a member of the cheering squad all four years of high school, and a member of both the basketball and softball teams freshman and sophomore year. Castellucci will be attending West Liberty University in the fall to study nursing.
- David Crawley-White is the son of Margaret White and John White, the brother to Hannah Crawley, and the nephew of Chris Carus. He was born in Liverpool, England. He and his family immigrated to the United States in 2004. He went to Oak Glen High for two years before moving to Weirton. He has been a member of the Theatre Department both at Oak Glen and Madonna. He was one of the 2010 winners of the WVTC All State Cast Award for Oak Glen. He is going to go to West Virginia Northern Community College and West Liberty University to become a history teacher.