Man bound over in rape case

WINTERSVILLE – Andre Wade, 33, of 309 Orchard Place, Wintersville, was ordered to be bound over to the Jefferson County grand jury Monday following a three-hour preliminary hearing before Wintersville county court Judge Michael Bednar.

Wade was arrested by Wintersville Police following an investigation into an assault on a male teenager and the alleged rape of a 17-year-old female in a wooded area behind the football field at Indian Creek High School.

Police were notified shortly before 5 p.m. April 5 of the assault and rape. Both the male and female teenagers were taken to Trinity Medical Center West for an examination and treatment.

The male teen testified he was talking to his girlfriend in the wooded area when Wade told the couple they were on his property. The boyfriend said Wade then punched him in the face and began to sexually assault the girl.

Wade continued to assault the boyfriend, while the girlfriend told Wade to do whatever he wanted as long as Wade stopped assaulting her boyfriend,

Wade initially was charged with felonious assault for the attack on the boyfriend, but Assistant Prosecutor Edward Littlejohn Jr. said the charge was dismissed. There was an initial allegation of a knife being used but no knife has been recovered.

The boyfriend and girlfriend went to the school gym, where play practice was being held, and told a teacher what happened. The teacher then called 911, the boyfriend said.

Wintersville Police Sgt. Shawn Gegick said he was looking for a suspect in the rape investigation when he saw Wade in a vehicle on Orchard Place with two other people. Gegick said Wade had on clothes matching the description of the assailant. Wade then was taken into custody,

Defense attorney Lydia Spragin questioned Gegick about statements he took from the boyfriend and girlfriend about the assault and alleged rape. Spragin said she couldn’t understand how Wade could be fighting with the boyfriend and, at the same time, forcing the girlfriend to perform sexual acts.

Wintersville Police Patrolman Anthony Morris said the boyfriend claimed he was getting hit by Wade every time he tried to stop the sexual assault. The boyfriend had scratches and marks on his face, Morris said.

Bednar continued Wade’s bond at $250,000.