Community

Church sermon topics

¯ Bell Chapel United Methodist Church, Steubenville: “Me Too.” ¯ Buena Vista United Methodist Church, Steubenville: “‘I See,’ Said the Blind Man.” ¯ Calvary Community Missionary Baptist Church, Steubenville: “Getting Your Day in Court.” ¯ Finley United Methodist ...

Why doesn’t an abused woman just leave?

STEUBENVILLE — It’s a question Jodi Scheetz gets asked a lot in her capacity as the director of the A.L.I.V.E. Shelter, an acronym for Alternatives for Living in Violent Environments. Why doesn’t an abused woman just leave? The question seems simple enough, but the answers aren’t, ...

Community happenings from throughout the area

Paint Wellsburg contest winners are announced WELLSBURG — Winners of the Paint Wellsburg contest held during the Wellsburg Applefest by the American Defenders of Bataan and Corregidor National Museum and Education Center have been announced. They are: Laura Consier, first place; Jim ...

Observing Red Ribbon Week

Members of the Tri-State Young Marines cleaned and decorated “Pride Park” in New Cumberland with red ribbons to kick off the unit’s observance of Red Ribbon Week, which is held annually from Oct. 23-31. Participants included, from left, Young Marine recruit Gianna Truax, Young Marine Pvt. ...

Sycamore Community Youth Choir to perform Sunday

The Sycamore Community Youth Choir will perform in concert at the Sycamore Youth and Community Center, 301 N. Fourth St., Steubenville, on Sunday, beginning at 5 p.m. The choir is under the direction of Barbara Wilson, Trey Jeter and Darrin Holt. The Rev. Marvin E. Barner of Second Baptist ...

Community news from around the area

Speaker series event being hosted by Friends of Smithfield on Sunday SMITHFIELD — A speaker series event sponsored by the Friends of Smithfield will feature “My Experience with the Movie Industry” by Jim Dunlap, production financier for Sony Pictures. It will be held Sunday at the ...

Camera club competition winners

The Upper Ohio Valley Camera Club has announced competition winners for October, the theme being “Animals.” The theme category winners are: First place, Sam Rees; second, Karen Felix; and third, Dave Rees; The open category winners are: First place, tie, Anissa Wellington and Debra Snider; ...

Breast cancer awareness ceremony

The 21st-annual breast cancer awareness wreath ceremony was held Oct. 17 at the Prime Time Senior Center in Steubenville, which partnered with the Women in Action Against Cancer Coalition of Jefferson County to celebrate and remember those whose lives have been touched by breast cancer. Weirton ...

Community news from around the area

All-you-can-eat breakfast Saturday at Panhandle VFW Post in Weirton WEIRTON — The auxiliary to the Panhandle Post No. 2716 of the Veterans of Foreign Wars is hosting an all-you-can-eat breakfast from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday at the VFW hall, located at 3435 Main St. The menu will ...